Wednesday 29 June 2011

Why everyone needs a cat like Gibson the wonder cat

This is the oldest team member of the Modern Country lady blog-team: Gibson. He is 16 now.
Gibson's strenghts are : security and relaxation techniques.
Security is paramount for him.
He knows places to hide where we don't even think of. Luckily he has taught his skills to Thomasina, and they now both have a safe drawer in my cupboard.You can compare it to a safe room- like Jodie Foster had when those killers tried to get her and her daughter.Same priciple without the mobile she had. Cats are not that much into technology.
He's good at helping with craft projects.Inspection, that sort of stuff.
And reminding me of lunch-breaks for the team as he needs his food to keep his figure.

This time I was on time with the provisions.Here he probably thinking of afters.He likes two meals rather than one.
He is tolerant of others .

And his relaxation techniques are second the none .

Gibson is the cat who kept me on the straight and narrow and I have much to thank him for.
When my husband John left me for an old girlfriend, Gibson parked himself at my feet. He looked up at me, completely relaxed, and said:" I trust you. You can do it.I know you have no money right now, and no job, and a big mortgage and five pets to feed .But you can do it.You will look after us.You can do it. I trust you completely."
He had more trust in me than I had in myself. Everyone needs a cat like Gibson.
So I did. I worked 3 three jobs at the same time and kept all my pets safe and fed and we all survived .
This was Gibson's finest hour - and I will always thank him for it.
This week, Gibson has had a bloodtest .The diagnosis is not good.He has kidney failure.
He sleeps a lot and wonders why I fuss.He's OK right now.
But I am preparing myself to see another little mound of earth under the flowering cherry tree where he will sleep the big sleep with his friends Harris, Sophie,and Emily who are already playing in that big green meadow in the sky and will welcome him gladly.
I know that in each life some rain must fall. In mine it sure has and there will will be some more quite soon I guess.
If you are so inclined, say a little prayer for my lovely Gibson.I sure will.

linking to Metamorphosis Monday
Wow us Wednesdays.
transformations and treasures
transformation Thursday
Strutt your stuff











20 comments:

Jane @ Jane's Junk and Treasures said...

Ohhh so sorry!
My Sasquatch had kidney failure. I treated him for awhile with the bags and sticking him every few days, and he HATED it. So we had a long talk and he just didn't want it any more. He was 17 when he passed. He just didn't wake up one day. I miss him everyday! He was my best buddy, he had 7 toes on each paw........Sasquatch!! ha

Katie@LeBeauPaonVictorien said...

I will be saying a prayer for Gibson! What a sweet kitty he is....he doesn't look 16, that's for sure!
We had a lot of "rain" last year in our house too; 3 kitties that passed on in the course of one year.

The Paupers Castle said...

I am SO sorry! This story hits home in so many ways. We just lost a cat a couple of months ago, she was only 9. We have another cat that is 16 and we count our blessings with her everyday. I pray Gibson will live his last days as comfortable as possible and when his time comes he lives eternally joyful with his other furry friends. Blessings and Hugs!

The Paupers Castle said...

Thank you for your kind comments about my post! I tried to reply by email, but it wouldn't let me! Hang in there and give him lots of hugs. It will do you both good!

Nita Stacy said...

Oh....Gibson looks to be such a great boy. He reminds me of my Newman. Even though Newman is a dog. Newman is the one like Gibson that pays attention to my feelings. He's the one there looking up at me telling me it will all be ok. I'm so sorry to hear that he is not doing well. When I read he was 17 and looked at the photos...I thought....gosh he looks great for 17 and then I read the news. I am so sorry... The only thing bad about having these fur babies in our lives is that they don't live very long. I have acquaintances that never get another dog or cat after losing one because it is so painful. And oh....yes it is....yes it is. But you can't dwell on that... Losing one means it's time to bring another into your life. None can be replaced....but you can love another.

My thoughts are with you and Gibson. I can tell he is very very special.

Debbie said...

My thoughts are with you and your sweet Gibson.....

Pamela said...

Bless you and Gibson! There is nothing like our furry children! They love us unconditionally and keep us sane when the world around us is crazy.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Bea,

How cats do have that sixth sense indeed! They do comfort you and love you when needed most. True, pure and unconditional love. We in return do love them enormously and we would fight for them. If they become ill like Gibson, there is little one can do. Just love and cuddle him some more and let him end his life peacefully. Well deserved for his loving duty, staying loyal for so many years.
Lots of love and wishing you strength.

Mariette

a quiet life said...

that was such a beautiful tribute... i have been in your shoes too often, it is never ever easy saying goodbye, but its so nice to reflect now, while you can still smile and pet him. thank you for taking such good care of your babies when your life was hard, i am so glad gibson was there for you, and now you will be there for him... wishing you both a peaceful passing...

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Lieve Bea,

Je hebt van mij de Sunshine Award gekregen...
Heel veel liefs en een dikke knuffel voor de moeilijke tijd die komen zal.

Mariette

God's Little People said...

What a remarkable soldier and friend you've had in Gibson. Nohting can replace a friend that believes in you like that! And what a courageous lady you are to have done what you did to look after your pets - I salute you, I truly do. I will pray for Gibson's health.
P.S. I found you over at Marrietes blog.

Lisa said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the news with your cat. I know how they become a part of the family and it's so hard to imagine life without them. Sending vibes to him and your family. He seems like a lovely pet to have & very cute!

L'Heure Bleue At Home said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. I can tell there is so much love between you and Gibson. Sending him lots more love!

Jeannies Bottle said...

Gibson is a beauty. I have two cats, one of which is also 16 years old. They add so much to our lives, don't they? I'm guessing much more than the ex did?!?! Kisses to Gibson

kristin said...

Sending lots of love and prayers your way. Animals are my life, I have always had them around ever since I can remember.. My only wish is that they could stick around a LOT longer.
He's such a handsome boy and he is lucky to have you just the same as you are lucky to have him. And a big thank you to you also for being such a wonderful fur-parent, so many people when faced with hard times will give up their pets like they're nothing but even though things were really rough with you you stuck it out because they are FAMILY and I just wish that everyone else out there in the world could realize this also and be just like you!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

So sorry to hear Gibson is not well. I just lost my 17 year old cat in April. So so hard. Thanks for sharing his story at WUW.

Noble Vintage said...

I tried to post a comment last week but it wasn't cooperating, so fingers crossed this one goes through... Your post took me through every emotion. You did a wonderful job in your photos of expressing what he's like. My heart breaks for you. Our fur babies are such a huge part of our day to day lives. Many hugs to you. Thanks for sharing.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh...indeed I will be saying some prayers for Gibson! He's a wonderful fellow and a loving companion. I also went through a similar life changing event and my kitties helped get me through, so I understand how comforting they can be. Special thanks to Gibson for attending Baby Kitty's party!...hugs...Debbie

victorian parlor II said...

My prayers go out for Gibson. Cats and dogs are blessings

victorian parlor II said...

Oops, I hit the wrong key before I finished typing-sorry:). Cats and dogs are blessings that help us in so many ways.

Blessings,

Kim