Saturday 25 June 2011

A festive breakfast...and life is for living..

This morning we had friends for breakfast. Apart from getting everything ready on time to eat,  - o deary me- - that is such fun !
I went the whole hog so it took a while- breakfast in Holland or Germany is not just sweet things like jam, honey, marmalade and rolls, but also ham, different kind of cheeses and different kind of bread- and then of course coffee and tea.
I sent the Modern Country Gentleman- being English- out of the kitchen- as he was cramping my style.....he recoiled in horror when he saw what I was going to put on the table " Cheese???!! CHEESE ???!!!"" Cheese for breakfast ???? ".At which point he got thrown out -understandably." There is only one captain on a ship " as they say in Holland and this captain eats cheese for breakfast if she wants to.

So finally I was done.I don't really have a dining room as such.So either I  start moving things around in the living room , pulling out tables, and getting in extra chairs, and generally getting so frazzled  that by the time I'm done I just want to throw my guests out of the window ..or........ we go the more " relaxed " style " , my guests just have to lump it and park themselves in the kitchen - so that was my plan today .
My mum is an terrific embroiderer and she had sent me a lovely table cloth with napkins for my birthday last year.

So all well and lovely.Then I broke a plate as  I am a bit of a klutz, and then I poured tea all over the table cloth- actually- just a dribble..no-one noticed- but it's tea so it will never get out!.
Do you use your " best" and " prettiest" table cloth - and who cares if you pour accidentally a bucket of red wine over it ?

OR- do you do a nice table-scape but basically don't use it ?


What the heck, ,life's for living , that's what I say !
Have a fabulous weekend whatever you do.



P.S. the dinnerservice is Audun Ferme from Villeroy and Boche- not great but nice enough. Not sure if I would go for yellow again..



linking to
Modern Mix Monday
Masterpiece Monday.Brag Monday. 
Metamorphosis Monday     Amaze me Monday   
Show off your cottage Monday
Tablescape Thursday 

8 comments:

Raina Cox said...

Goodness - that's a gorgeous table! Your guests are very lucky to have such a caring friend.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Bea,

Oh yes, you WILL get those tea-stains out of your beautiful tablecloth! Put it in a bucket of water and add a scoop of salt and let soak for an hour. Launder on 60 degree and they should be out. You also can bleech them out (if the previous tip doesn't work; however it should!) by putting it on your lawn and sprinkle it wet. Let the sun do its job and wet it again when it dries. That's the old fashioned way of bleaching linens. So don't worry about stains but enjoy life; as you perfectly did. Sorry but for the broken plate I have no solution.
Lots of love,

Mariette

Mise said...

Your table looks immensely tempting, and of course there must be cheese.

Unknown said...

Oh, how lovely a table setting. Yup! We loved all the cheese for breakfast in Europe ... quite a change from here, for sure.
Have a great week ~
TTFN ~
Marydon

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Beautiful table! The cheese breakfast is so amazing! Thanks for sharing:)
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Anonymous said...

Love the embroidered table cloth your mum made! What an amazing gift!!
xo E + J

JudyBug said...

Wow...I would love breakfast at your house! Cheese? I believe cheese goes with every meal!

Sweetladyelaine said...

A beautiful table! I love your happy yellow dishes! Your breakfast sounds wonderful. I use everything I own...if you don't when you die someone else will use them! lol If something breaks oh well.....enjoy yourself life is too short!
Blessings My Friend,