Wednesday 21 September 2011

The cutest little cupboard in the world

If you want to read a story about how good things come to those who wait , I will let you in on the story of my new cupboard.
This cupboard  was disliked by everyone for it's sheer utter drabness and lived in the garage for five years.
This is the before .
But this week, surrounded by cardboard boxes holding " stuff" ,chairs full of heaps of more "stuff" ,and loads of other "stuff" on the floor , in my workroom, I decided I needed a cupboard fast.
So I decided it was time for this cupboard to get back on board..
After all, it had two drawers, and three shelves, so all it needed was a little bit of cuteness.
I first painted it Cooking Apple Green from Farrow and Ball ( mainly because I have tons left from this ).
Then I raided the garage again and unscrewed a bit of lovely woodcarving from a single bed headboard which I had picked up from a charity shop.I glued this (with " No More Nails !" - rockhard  ) on the top of the cupboard, then painted it Cooking Apple Green as well.
That made me feel a bit better about the cupboard and I am sure the cupboard felt better about itself as well...

Then I cleaned the inside and covered the whole inside , shelves and drawers with black and white ticking.
( Zero cost as this was a bit of a leftover.-Ikea.).
I was too mean to spend a penny on fancy ironmongery , so I made some nice bows with ribbons , sewed some buttons on top of the bow, and hot-glued them inside the existing handles.Piece of cake!

The door handles..
and..drawer-handles: ..
Then it still looked a bit like it lacked some interest..
So I thought to add some roses..
Just go on Google-Images-Victorian scraps like here.
Then print off the ones you like, in colour and use them for decoupage , and glue them on.
I tried to echo the curved shape of the woodcarving on the top.
The bottom drawers I did like this :
And now I have some great additional cupboard space.. which is a real pleasure to look at..

Not only is it one of the cutest little cupboards I have ever had...

.. and does it give me loads of storage space...I wonder if any of you have noticed Tilda - trying to check the cupboard out..a tiny face and two big ears here above....:-)
but apparently...
.. it's also the most comfortable cupboard in the world , hahaha!
Have a great rest of the week!
XOXO
Bea

linking to
frugalicious friday
furniture friday
wow us wednesdays
whatever goes wednesday
penny pinching party
show and tell
sizzle into summer
thrifty thursday
tabletop thursday
show and tell friday
home sweet home
vintage inspiration friday
potpourri friday
brag monday
 metamorphosis monday
mod mix monday
fall into fall
weekend wrap up party

17 comments:

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Bea,

What a post! You are like bubbly wine... getting an idea and working it out in a heart beat! Love the ticking idea and the crest you glued onto it. What a space with this lovely addition. Cute door and drawer knobs you invented and than the roses... Guess without it, this cuty looked already darling. Ah, and the new occupant of it. Did you not explain to your dear feline(s) that this is not meant to live in...?!
Love to you,

Mariette

SoBijoux said...

Amazing!!
Hugs
Ione

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

Haha kitty in the linen closet! luv.

Carrie said...

You did a fabuloous job refurbishing the cabinet...such delightful details!

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
You have a Beautiful and lovely post!!! Your door and drawer knobs are so cute great Idea. The kitty in with your linen closet is so sweet.. Im your newest follower on your blog now. I hope you join me also.Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my new Tablescape. I hope you have a great weekend coming up.
XXOO Diane

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

So sweet! The touch of flowers really makes it quite whimsical. You kitty looks quite cozy in there :)

Saints and Apostles said...

Oh my goodness Bea, have you just turned this little cupboard into the proudest cupboard in the world - it's gorgeous. And those last images just crowns the project with the ultimate stamp of approval :-) Cute!
xo

Alycia Nichols said...

Hi, Bea! Oh, wow...you did a maginficent job!!!! Bravo!

Tess said...

Great transformation...nothing like victorian roses on ANYTHING!!! Love the kitty in the cupboard. We have a tabby who will jump in any draw that opens!

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

You are right! It is the cutest cupboard that I've ever seen. Love how you created your own knobs.

Samantha said...

It's so cute. And your cat is hilarious.

DIYbyDesign said...

The cabinet came out amazing. Thanks so much for visiting. I'm so impressed that you always make your own drapes. They were so time consuming I'm not rushing to make another pair for a while...or at least until I forget how much work they were...which with me will be soon. Lol. See you tonight at the party.

Ellen said...

What a darling piece of furniture. I just love it. Looks like you have a nice stash of linens as well. ANd that Tilda is way to cute and very smart kitty. I love the redo, she looks great.
Enjoy
Hugs,
Ellen

Honey at 2805 said...

What an adorable piece of furniture! It must be so happy in it's new life! Nice job!

Thank you for linking to Potpourri Friday. I appreciated your participation. Sorry I'm so tardy in commenting, but I've been away for the past four days. Hope to see you again this week!

The Charm of Home said...

How cute! It turned out adorable. That kitty is too funny. Thank you for linking it up with Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Ricki Treleaven said...

This is a cute little cupboard. Love the pulls! I would like to have refrigerator magnets like them for my kitchen! I am visiting from Mod Mix Monday.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

This is utterly adorable. My favorite part is your very clever knobs!