Thursday 1 September 2011

Wind and rain and cake

There is nothing better than baking cake when it rains and the wind howls outside.As the month of September is now starting , I thought a re-post of this wonderful recipe would put you in the mood for cosy nights in.
Time to get baking.This cake is one of the most luscious ones I know, with a wonderful combination of ground almonds and glacee cherries.
Here is how you make your  super simple and super delicious cake.Once you make it, you will want to make it again and again!

Ingredients:
200 gr butter
175 gr caster sugar
3 eggs
250 gr self-raising flour
100 gr ground almonds
200 gr glacee cherries
2 drops almond essence
6 tablespoons milk

Cream the butter and the sugar.





It should be light pale yellow by the time you're done.
Beat your eggs in a separate bowl.
Add the eggs and the almond essence gradually to your creamed sugar and butter.
Then add the flour and ground almonds.
If you use a mixer, go as slow as possible.Ideally you just want to mix it under with two spoons or something and just get it mixed but no more than that.Don't mix it too much.
Add your cherries.

If you want, you can rinse the sugary syrup off them before-hand, but if you do,  make sure you dry them off as well so you don't add any water from the rinsing to the batter.You can mix them with a bit of flour - this will make it easier for the cherries to stay mix all over in the batter instead of sinking to the bottom of the cake.
You can half the cherries if you want, but keeping them whole just gives that extra cherry- punch taste.
Again, don't over-mix but just make sure the cherrries are mixed in, either using the mixer on slow or use two spoons and fold them under the batter once or twice.
Add the milk, then pour the batter-gloop ( it's quite thick so you may need to scrape the last bits out ) into a cake tin and bake for 3/4 of an hour in a pre-heated oven on 170 degrees Centigrade.
To test if the cake is done, I always use a knitting needle and stick it somewher in the middle.It should come out clean with no batter on it.If there is still sticky batter on it, give the cake another 15 minutes.
And there you are ! A lovely moist gorgeous cake.Time for a nice cup of tea.get yourself a nice teapot and cups and saucers..
And enjoy the fruits of your labour in front of a cosy warm open fire, while outside the rain lashes at the windows.
Not so bad, now, is it, that it rains.  I think I'll have some more rain..eh cake ..sorry !!




I am linking to
Tablescape Thursday


21 comments:

Princesa Nadie said...

It must be delicious!
Meeting you has been a pleasure
Hugs

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Hi,

So nice to meet you! I totally agree, about baking when it is rainy and cold out. I blogged about that last week! This cake looks yummy!

Debbie

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I'm your newest follower. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe for this glorious cake, can't wait to make it for tea.
Pleasure to meet you, you're welcome to come over and visit me, so we can know each other better.
XOXO
FABBY

Beth said...

Your cake looks great! I like your table linens and tea cups too. Nice tea!
Blessings, Beth

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Hello,
what a wonderful tea table. I love your silver and the hungarian china is outstanding. And your cake is th crown of the table.
Greetings, Johanna

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Bea,

Well, we got our thunderstorms and rain too! So we'll start all over with the nice weahter, beginning a bit lower too. One day it will be spring and till that time you have cake! Enjoy it; looks and sounds like a delicious one.

Love,

Mariette

♥ Miss Tea said...

oooh yummy!! thanks for sharing the recipe, I just got to try this!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

This cake looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Katie
ps- Wednesdays I feature lots of recipes from all around blogs. I'd love for you to stop in if you get a chance :) Have a great day.

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

Perfect thing to do on a rainy day! The cake looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

OMGoodness, I've got to have some of this cake, I'll need to borrow this recipe!..Do you have a recipe like this for fresh strawberries, and or could I use them in this recipe???
~JO
LazyonLoblolly

Snap said...

my mouth is watering! happy tea day!

alicia said...

Yummy!!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Your cake looks yummy! Lovely with a cup of tea!

Blessings,
Sandi

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

Yummy!

It's not raining here, it's snowing... I guess it's ok if I try this cake anyway, right? :-)

Have a nice day!

xo


Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Anonymous said...

Cherry cake..delicious! You've shared a wonderful atmosphere for tea, I'd love to join in!Yvette x
http://yvettesblogs.com/2011/03/01/sandys-tea-society/

Terri said...

Wow! Thank you so much for this fabulous post. Love the recipe and your tea set (which I am really interested in ) is amazing. I love the ruffled gold rim on your tea cup. Beautiful!
Hugs,
Terri

Unknown said...

yummm..what a lovely tea cake..cherries and almonds are such a delicious combination. thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.

Miz Helen said...

Hi there...I am so excited that you invited me to have tea with you. I just love your beautiful tea table and your lovely tea cups. Your tea cake looks delicious with cherries and almonds. Thank you so much for sharing at Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi: Everything looks so good. Thank you for joining Tea Cup Tuesday. I hope you will feel free to do it again soon. Have a wonderful week. Blessings, Martha

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Looks absolutely delicious!! Sounds like you had a fun day baking while stuck inside the house from the weather! Thanks for sharing at FNF! :)

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I'm so glad you came by again...I love this china, it's gorgeous with green leaves, perfect for fall and the cake is getting me hungry, I love it, I have your recipe. Happy TT at Susan's, see you there! Hugs, FABBY